Yes exercise can really be fun. You hear all the time that more than half of American adults are overweight. Of course you can and should use some of the bicycles available although there are other, and fun, ways that can also help.
- Take “healthy” vacations – make fitness part of your travels by going to a spa where, along with a little pampering, you can enjoy hiking, rock climbing, kickboxing, aqua aerobics and yoga.
- You can also go on active vacations – these are really soft adventures where you go cycling or hiking, either on guided excursions or trips you plan yourself. Typically on these trips of trips you may have 2 or 3 levels of activity each day. Some of these trips are suitable for beginners, others for families and still others quite challenging. The best part is you also meet like minded people and get to see different parts of the world.
- Snow shoeing – I bet you did not know that when you travel in the woods on snowshoes you burn 45% more calories than if you were walking along the same trail. It is not as cold as you think as you heat up quickly and it is a very social and fun activity. Okay there is the more traditional cross country skiing which works as well.
- Go on a charity walk or run – training for a 5K or longer charity walk, for example, may be all the motivation to run (or walk) on a regular basis. You are also helping the charity which gives you a sense of accomplishment.
- Power walking – walk fast swinging your elbows to get your upper body working as well. Another version of this is Nordic walking with poles similar to the ones used for cross country skiing. Walking is considered one of the most beneficial cardiovascular exercises for people of all ages, body types, and fitness levels. As a fundamental form of aerobic training, walking has numerous physical benefits for the heart, lungs, and circulatory system, while also increasing muscle tone and burning fat calories.
- Dancing – join a dancing class, even ballroom dancing is great exercise. If you ever watch the TV show Dancing with the Stars you know how much weight they lose and what a workout it can be.
- Pilates – check out what makes Pilates the workout of choice for countless celebrities, and why it is also so popular at local gym’s.
- Cycling – bike riding can be a family activity as you explore your home town on two wheels and you can even bring your dog along. As with any activity don’t forget to ride safely.
If you want to really lose weight and get in shape you do need to change your lifestyle for the long term and exercising regularly and these fun ways of exercising including cycling can get you started.